Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reverse ice cream truck


I have an interesting view out of my 11th floor hotel room. It would be really cool if I had a balcony but it's just a window that doesn't open. This morning and this evening I noticed a melody playing. It reminds me of the slow parts of the Blue Danube waltz. I just figured out where it was coming from. A garbage truck drives down the street, stopping every so often, playing this song. When it stopped across from my hotel, I saw about 20 people throw a garbage bag into the back of the truck. I didn't see any garbagemen get out of the truck. I guess when you hear that song, you grab your garbage bag and head out to the curb. I don't know if it's just for the shops on the street or the apartments above. It seems a little stressful to have to listen for that song and then quickly descend 5 or 10 stories to throw out your trash.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't you just drop it down from above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenging. I have confirmation from a co-worker that this is how garbage works here. The benefit that I didn't think of is that no trash gets piled on the street. Pretty key when the street is lined with 20-story buildings. Are you paying attention, New York City?

    ReplyDelete