Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 1 in Hsinchu


I don't have much to report but I should post something to record the fact that I'm on the ground in Taiwan. There are a few things I'm going to have to get used to.

It's pretty hot and sticky outside for my taste and this is early spring here, so it's only likely to get hotter and stickier. More importantly, it's a little warmer in the office than I'd like it. At least I have control over the temperature in my hotel room.

Compared to what I'm used to, the food in the cafeteria, which is going to be my benchmark for average Taiwanese food, isn't as sweet or salty or hot or cold. Meaning sweet dishes aren't as sweet, and so forth.

In the office there's a very well-defined lunch hour. After you eat lunch you go back to your desk and either sleep or check personal email or something until the hour is up. There's not much need for me to check personal email throughout the day. Pretty much everyone that sends me email is asleep during my day. Even twitter was silent from noon until 7pm.


2 comments:

  1. I assume that means we can expaect daily, detailed updates to the blog.

    Take some photos too. Can you walk around outside during your lunch break?

    Good to hear from you. I'm still in WL, but we're heading home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clearing up the fact that sweet things are sweet.. Alright ill give you a pass, you are probably jet lagged. I am getting there 30th around 1 PM.

    ReplyDelete